This week, I had several students who had used the long weekend for extra practice time, and it showed! I love to see the look on their faces when they have accomplished a piece of music and get to feel that "job-well-done" feeling.
Whether it's sitting down for a half-hour at a time, or fitting in a couple of minutes here and there, spending time at the piano every day is a very important part of piano training. As I've told a couple of students, not practicing is like going to a candy store, buying a bag of candy, then throwing it away when you get home. You don't get to enjoy it, and you don't get your money's worth!
For younger students, a couple of minutes per year of age is a good rule of thumb. I think a 5-year-old will benefit from about 10 minutes a day. For older students, a half-hour is reasonable. When I was young (starting at age 7), I had to practice an hour every day. I didn't always enjoy it, but faced with the possibility of stopping lessons or practicing, I chose to practice. And honestly, an hour of practice is a bit long some days -- probably two 30-minute sessions might have been better. But, on those days when you get "lost" in your music, an hour of practice can fly by before you know it.
Right now, I am practicing too! I am working on some pieces for Eclectic, so I know the benefits and the discipline required to sit down and do the work. So, I'm right there with you! I also know how good it feels to add another beautiful piece of music to my repertoire. Currently, I'm working on "I Hope You Dance" - a piano solo version with some really pretty chords and embellishments. Hopefully by tomorrow (when I am scheduled to perform it) it will feel like "mine".
Friday, February 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIs it possible to practice in your sleep? Colby was struggling with his pieces before he went to bed, really didn't have much of a grasp on two of them at all. Woke up, went straight to the piano and played them like he'd known them for months. He said he dreamed about playing them. Aren't boys supposed to dream about girls?
ReplyDeleteI've had that happen to me also, Shellie. It's almost like it "settles" into the brain when you sleep somehow.
ReplyDeleteThe girl-thing will happen soon enough.. ;-)